Friday, April 9, 2010

It has taken me quite a while, but I think I can say I am starting to adjust to life as a single mom. I'm not sure what I was expecting going into this, but it is definitely challenging and incredibly rewarding. I have had to change my entire work schedule to accommodate custody arrangements and being home with Jack more now. Previously, I used to coordinate my schedule so that Jack had to go to daycare as little as possible. That meant me working more hours, less days, so that Jack could be home in the evenings with Max, and working on weekends, so the same could happen. Now, the days when Jack is gone from me, I work non-stop, and the days when I have him, I only work 8 hours a day, for a couple of days.
We've been doing a lot of fun things over the last month, and here is the evidence. Jack took his first plane ride to Phoenix so we could visit the Rashetas. My mom and I had been so looking forward to this trip, and the timing for me couldn't have been more perfect. We shopped, visited family, ate, toured the temple grounds, went to a children's museum and on and on. I hardly wanted to come back, but I ran out of money and PTO from work!



Easter Festivities
Then we came home and realized what life was like for just the two of us living here. My family has quickly come to my rescue and visited every weekend since I've been back. Giselle, Noah and Rajko and my Mom all came and stayed for Easter/Conference weekend. It was just what I needed to get me out of my "poor pity me" attitude. I felt so inspired by many of the conference talks. So many of them were written just for me, I am convinced. Easter egg decorating was a blast, but I think Giselle and I enjoyed it much more than anyone else.
Jack and Rajko enjoyed finding the eggs around the house and yard. I was so proud of my solo Easter Bunny skills, until later in the day when Jack said, "thanks for my scooter from Wal-Mart, Mom." So, I guess I didn't really pull the wool over his eyes. Maybe next year!

9 comments:

Billie Sue said...

What a wonderful post! I am so glad you enjoyed the Phoenix trip and it was what your poor little heart needed. We never know in life just why there is a need to learn certain lessons, but we just have to trust and put forth the best effort we can and grow from each experience. I am proud of you for your bravery and the spirit in which you have met each challenge. You are strong and life is full of the goodness you deserve. I have learned these things through my own life's experiences and trust in our Father's love and wisdom. Chin up, chest out and SMILE!!!!

Aimee & Brennen Fuller said...

Aren't vacations wonderful!? I'm so in need of one and reading this post finalizes my decision that I must go on one. Phoenix looked wonderful and I love love LOVE that picture of Jack laying on the grass...just a close up of his worry-free face. Pure happiness.

Melinda said...

So fun. So glad you have such an awesome family!

christie said...

Chelsea I just read your blog for the first time in months and I bawled my eyes out! I am so sorry chels I can't even imagine what you are going through. I miss your guts and sweet Jack's. You need to call me asap. You are in our thoughts and prayers. we love you muah!

Brittany said...

I can't believe how big Rajko is! I swear he was just born. I'm so glad you're doing good!! I think about you ALL the time! Your family is awesome! They're such a great support to you! Looks like Jack had a great Easter and loved his "scooter from Walmart".:)

Stevenson Stories said...

Could those easter eggs be any cuter?! And that scooter that the
"Easter Bunny" brought from Wal-Mart is so awesome and apparently Taleah wants one just like it! Oh and the picture of Jack on the grass... SO CUTE! You are such a great mommy!

Kati said...

What a fun vacation! The boys are both getting sooooooo big. I can't believe how fast time goes by. Sounds like you are adjusting and hopefully you will find peace and contentment soon. Your mom is right...we never know why things happen the way they do, but it is the way we handle those situations that really matter. You seem to be handling things with great strength and keeping little Jack the most important thing in your life. Keep smiling but don't be afraid to lean on family and friends when you need it. You don't have to be strong all by yourself. :)

Giselle Rasheta said...

Hahaha. "Thanks for my scooter from Walmart, Mom!" That Jack is the cutest and smartest kid ever. You have no idea how much I enjoyed your visit down here followed up by spending another weekend with you. I love the way that Jack is with Rajko, and I have enjoyed just sitting and talking with you. I love you Chels. You are an awesome single mommy, and I'm sure it will get more and more normal.

Love you both!

Libby said...

My Jack made that exact alien egg! How funny! Elise was watching with me and she asked how you guys got our Easter eggs! :)

I love that picture of Jack in the water with the light reflected on the water! Your trip looks like fun and since I have already heard about it, I knew it was fun!