Saturday, April 24, 2010

Good as New

On my most recent trip up and down I-15, I spent a lot of time thinking about my car. As of next month it will be paid off. Its kind of an exciting thought for me. I've been brainstorming all the things I want to buy with the extra money. Then the practical side of me takes over and says I should put that money toward my student loans and get them paid off quickly and try to get myself out of so much debt.
As I traversed the freeway, I saw lots of other cars that caught my attention. I began to think that maybe I should get a new car? Like, a new start to things? I saw bright shiny SUVs, quick speedy sedans, cars, cars CARS! I figure I can just sell mine and put the money towards a new one.
But then I started thinking of all the things wrong with my car and wondered who would even want it? It probably needs new tires, and for sure needs its current tires at least rotated and balanced. There's quite a few scratches and dents from who knows what? Someone stole a piece of the pretend chrome stuff right off the front. And a while ago something on the undercarriage was sagging down and dragging on the ground. My dad even had to take it in and get it put back into place. Sometimes I keep it nice and clean, but other days its messy and unkempt. Why would anyone else even want it?
On my way back home, I stopped in Cedar City and filled my car's tank for the second time that day. I only had one more hour of my 6 hour trip. As I got back in the car and turned the ignition, something happened. Nothing. The car wouldn't start. It tried to start, but couldn't muster up the energy. I quickly panicked. Of all the things going on right now, I seriously do not need this car to die. I tried again. Nothing. Then I had a pep talk with my car. I said, "I know you're worn out, and tired, and have been driving for a long time. Not just today, but for the last 5 years. I have required a lot of you, and you've never let me down yet. So please, just please start and get me back home."
(Other people talk to their cars too, right? And also feel bad when they've driven a long way or if its hot outside and they've been out there all day? Or likewise cold....?? Oh good, I thought so.)
So I tried for a third time. And it groaned and moaned....and started! Relief. I gave it some gas and revved it up a bit, and drove out of the parking lot and headed home.
As I got back onto the freeway, I chuckled, because I realized that my car was testing me. It knew how much I had been thinking and coveting others cars all day long. It gave me a little humbling experience to put me back into place and make me grateful for it.
Then, naturally, I started crying as I thought about my car. I bought it right after Max and I got engaged. It was a "I am an adult and on my own" purchase. I have loved it. Its likely that I've spent more time in the car in the last 5 years than anywhere else. Between planning a wedding while living in Southern Utah, school for the last 4 years at the other end of the state, family events, holidays and attending practically every milestone of our nieces and nephews, I have driven over 140,000 miles in 5 short years!
I also thought about all the near-death experiences in my car. Okay, maybe not near death, but scary nonetheless. I remember when I went spinning out of control and ran off the road and was stuck in a snowball because no one would stop for over an hour! I remembered when I rear-ended someone in a different snow storm.... I came to the conclusion that I simply cannot let this car go. I need to realize its value and dependability. I cannot abandon it for something else.
Maybe I was also crying about the car because I was thinking about our similarities. I was worn out by time I got to Cedar City, too. In fact, I was likely worn out miles, hours, even days before I got to Cedar City. Just like the car, I'm getting old, and have a lot of miles on me. I'm sure I could use new tires. I'm sure I have a lot of dents and dings. I know pieces of me are missing, and I will not deny that parts of me are sagging and need put back into place;) I try to keep myself looking clean and polished, but many days I show up to work looking unkempt. Like the car, who would want me with all these problems?
Then I gave myself a pep talk. "I know its been a long 5 years. I know you're worn out and tired. You've been working hard and trying for so long. Don't worry. Someday, someone would/will want you. Someone somewhere will see your value. They'll realize you're dependable, and have a lot of other great qualities. And maybe you can go to the repair shop and get fixed up a bit. And you'll be good as new!"

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Chels, I love your spirit and spunk. I totally needed to read this today!

Jess's Journey to the Land Of Skinny said...

I hear ya on the new car! I am starting to look like a mini-van. I mean I need to get a mini-van. I'm glad your car made it and you will to!!

Kourtney said...

When did you become this inspiration writer?! And how many times do I have to tell you that of course someone will want to be with you, that you are amazing, and totally worthy of it all?!!! You are awesome!

Billie Jo said...

Ok listen up here... a) you are not getting old!!! b)you look more kept up than anyone I know c) dents and scratches show character; you don't want to seem like a fancy high maintain car. d) SUV's are gas HOGS!!! You will save money with this car. However, coming from me who covets new cars on a daily basis... keep looking babe! And seriously new tires.... all you have to do is say the word!

Giselle Rasheta said...

Why do I think I can ever get through your posts without crying? Chelsea, stop being so darn insightful and reflective!

I have mixed feelings about you getting a new car. I think you totally deserve one, and if you could sell your call and use the down payment toward a new one, I think that would be great. I would love to see you driving a new (okay not new, don't ever buy new) shiny vehicle that is as spunky, unique, and gorgeous as you. But at the same time, I know it is wise to keep the car you don't have a payment on.

How about this?? When the repairs start adding up, get rid of it. You'll be spending money either way (either on a car payment or on your many repairs) but with a new car, at least you have a new car! :)

I'm sure you feel like that car right now, but I hope you know how amazing you are. I look up to you so much in so many ways. Everyone who sees you can see that you are special and deserving of anything you could possibly desire. And unkempt? Ha. I'll believe it when I see it.

Love you.

Aimee & Brennen Fuller said...

What a good post. Just what I needed. It reminded me of a talk I heard once about this lady said she felt like an old $20 bill--beat up, ragged and crumpled. But even though it's not nice and crispy new $20 bill. It's STILL $20 and hasn't lost any of it's worth. I loved the talk just like I loved this post. I think today's world can really make you feel blue if you aren't this or that but when all is said and done we are still of the same worth.
Thanks again for the insight!

McNeil Family said...

Again with the crying while reading your blog. I want your car to keep working because I want you to have all that extra money to spend!! My dad can do repairs you know.

And second PUH-LEASE! If you are an unkempt dented car I'm a dinosaur totaled at the junk yard. EVERY time I see you I covet your clothes, hair, makeup, shoes... and the list goes on. You are the fashionista that I LOVE. When I see you I have more courage to try new hip things. And it usually doesn't work out. And sometimes I think I'll switch to diet dp. And that never works out.

I'm not just being nice because I'm your sister-in-law. I'm just being honest. So you call me next time you start thinking silly things like that. And then let's go shopping so I can stop looking like a flabby forty year old mom.

Stevenson Stories said...

Loved this post.. reminded me of our chats at work on Sat.
Your cute little car has been great and I agree with the thought of you doing either one.
Also, I have to say again that you totally deserve a total hottie that treats you like a queen!!! I'm sure it's hard to see now but you will find him/he will find you.. I know it!
You are NOT unkept...complete opposite. You always look cute and are very fashionable!
Anyways, thanks for the insight and encouraging words. Love talking with you. You are the kind of girl/friend that anyone would love to have.

The Gunnerson Family said...

Not cool, Chels. You know that I am reading this at work. Now I have to close my door so no one sees me crying.

Keep the car. It is fun, sporty, totally cute and always looks good. It is has been tested and proven how dependable it is. It runs well, gets you where you want to be, and has never let you down. It was your statement of independence then, and now. It might not be perfect, but it is alwys doing its best. I love that car. I wish I had a car like it. You should keep it... you have a lot in common with it.

Love you. Can't wait to see you in a couple of days.

Brittany said...

Every person is their own worst critic huh? It has been since August since I've seen you but I don't remember any scratches, dings, dents or sagging. I think you're beautiful and VERY dependable! I love you and can't wait to see you in a couple weeks! Hang in there!

Billie Sue said...

Ok - these are the kind of posts that a mother can't bear to read. This makes my heart hurt for you and there just isn't anything I can do except to say -- the worst is over and there should be blue sky on the horizon! Love you so much!

The Cox Family said...

You are such an inspiring person Chels! I LOVE reading your posts- even when they make me cry and Curtis makes fun of me for crying. I have so much respect for you and believe that you are perfect the way you are. There is someone out there who will love you for you!
We are heading down tomorrow night so I will be getting a hold of you to see what your schedule is like the rest of the week. We would love to come visit you!

Unknown said...

Chels...I know this is tough and I know how you feel. You will be okay and despite all that I have been through with Alex, I do know that things are happening just how they are supposed to whether I like it or not. I believe the same is true for you and for Max. This is how we learn. It is how we understand God's grace and it is how we progress in this life. We have to feel extreme pain to know extreme joy. We have to reflect on our experiences and learn from our mistakes and accept our part in whatever situation we were dealt. It is hard and very tough. You are my nephews mother and you will always have an important place in this family. I know that you are going through so many emotions and that is exactly what you need to do right now. You have to feel the pain and walk through it and you WILL come out on the other side. I am not there yet...but I have faith that it will happen. Time helps. Be grateful for all the good from the last 5 years and keep the bad in reflection without letting it overtake you. That is tricky and it takes practice! Keep the car. There are so many more important things that you can do with your money! You are beautiful and you say unkempt? Really? Give me a break already! Take care of you and Jack. Enjoy this time to just be single and be Jack's mama.

Unknown said...

Oh yes....Hugs!