Friday, March 26, 2010

Man, I love this boy. He's what keeps me going right now and I'm so appreciative of that.
Lately I've been feeling overwhelmed at the enormous responsibility of being a parent. Not necessarily the day to day duties, but the whole big picture. How can I raise this boy to be a good person who loves and cares about others? How do I help him love the gospel and have a testimony of our Savior? How can I show him how to be a loving partner and wonderful father? There's just so much on my mind and the task seems almost impossible. With so many temptations and challenges in life, how can I raise him to be happy and successful? Does anyone else feel this way?

I've been asking my mom over and over these same questions. How do you do it? How can you just raise them and send them out in the world and not follow their every move, making sure they make wise decisions? And more importantly, how do you survive all of this without having a complete breakdown due to stress? How did she do it 6 times?

As fate would have it, Sunday's Relief Society lesson dealt with these questions a lot. I left the meeting feeling like I completely disagreed with the responses of many of the sisters. Most everyone agreed that no matter what, your children should just know that you love them. I've been thinking about it all week, and I just keep thinking that there is clearly something more to it. I reflected on my own upbringing, and agreed that I knew my parents loved me, but it was way more than that. They taught me. They showed me. By example. They taught and showed how important the gospel is. I heard their testimonies frequently in church, and knew of their love of the gospel and our Savior by the way they lived their lives. They had high expectations of the people that we should become, and they did everything to provide us opportunities to become who they knew we were capable of.

They loved us. But I think a huge part of loving your children is not just allowing them to do anything simply because they want to. We knew how disappointed they would be with our poor judgment, and that always weighed on my mind when I was faced with decisions. It made us want to make them happy and proud of us. And more importantly, they showed us they loved us and were proud of us.


So throughout the week as I've been contemplating all of this, the real answer suddenly occurred to me. The Plan. It's all part of the Plan. Heavenly Father didn't just send us down here, hope for the best, and tell us, "Well, I love you no matter what happens." Of course He loves and always will. However, He will be disappointed when we don't choose the right paths in our life. He sent us here and provides all the tools and knowledge we need in order to be able to make the right choices and become happy, successful people. Why would we, as parents, do anything other than follow His example if we hope for the best outcomes for our own children?

So, I realized being a parent is a HUGE responsibility, but being a good parent is an even BIGGER one. I feel blessed that Heavenly Father has allowed me to be a mom to this sweet boy, and that he trusts that I can do it. I know I can do it, and if I do it well, I know I'll become a much better person in the process.

13 comments:

Billie Sue said...

That is a beautiful boy...and so precious. You are so right--the worth of a child is great and it is a huge responsibility to be a parent. I have sat through lessons like you say you had and heard people say the very same kinds of things--the concept of unconditional love. While I do believe we must have unconditional love, there are also rules and consequences when you break the rules. Heavenly Father has given us rules and we must obey. He will love us no matter what, but there ARE consequences when we do not obey. Why am I writing all this? You know it, so I don't believe I need to orate. I just need to let you know what a wonderful daughter you are and how much we love you. You know I worry about you and the load you are carrying and pray for your strength. I feel helpless and wish I could solve all the problems and make your life easier. I guess we've also had the lesson on opposition and know that there must be sorrow to know joy. You have done a great job with the pictures! I love them and Jack is the perfect "cheeser" for the camera. Keep working and praying and it will all work out! Love you so much - Mom
b

Unknown said...

Once again, the pictures of Jack are adorable. You are a great Mom Chels, and he wouldn't have sent you someone as special as Jack if he didn't think you were 100% capable of teaching and giving him everything he needs. Even though I'm not a mom yet, I agree with what you said. It isn't just love. Loving your children is important, but being that rock of an example like you said will do more good than simply loving your children. I marvel everyday at your strength through all of this! You don't have to be perfect. No one is. You're allowed to feel. Jack is lucky to have you as his mom!

Libby said...

Are these the new picture you got taken? I'm confused cause he's not in the Easter outfit! When did you have these taken? They are adorable! I love the cowboy vest and theme (which as you know is surprising for me)! So cute!!!

Chels it sounds like you have a great grasp of what you need to do. I am constantly impressed. These are the questions I ask myself as well and go back and forth about feeling great about my parenting efforts and feeling horrible about them. Being a parent is SO hard!!! But you are such a good one!

Aimee & Brennen Fuller said...

Love those new pictures of Jack. He really is adorable.
I really enjoyed this post--always insightful. It can be so overwhelming being a parent sometimes but thankfully we aren't alone and always have His help. I'm sure He's smiling about your awesome insight about your RS lesson.

Kristen said...

Chelsea,thank you for sharing your experience and questions. I was enlightened by your post. I am so grateful we have our homes where we can keep the bad stuff out. Jack has on the cutest little sweatervest. He always looks so cute. You are going to have to chase the girls away someday.

Stevenson Stories said...

Chels, the pictures are so cute! See.. people thought you had them taken.. you are that good! :) But seriously he is sooo cute!
And what a great post.. you always have the greatest things to say. And I totally agree and loved hearing you say those things. I am only starting out.. 1 year into this mommy thing.. and I am already overwhelmed so I am glad to hear that I am not the only one. He is a special boy and you are a great mom!

The Gunnerson Family said...

Ah, the overwhelming responsibility of being a parent. I have had that conversation with myself MANY times. Sounds like you have come up with the right solution.

The pictures are DARLING. I think that you are a great photographer in the making. Now if we just had a little more time to develop our skills!

McNeil Family said...

Yes! I have checked and waited patiently for a new blog. I LOVE reading your blog. It's like my little highlight at the end of the day. I couldn't agree more with your insights into parenting. When I get feeling overwhelmed about the same things I'm just grateful it's only one day at a time. We get to begin with a little person that loves us unconditionally and forgets when we make mistakes.

Natasha said...

Thanks for the invite Chelsea. I love your new blog. I think about being a good parent everyday of my life. I love this post! Glad to see you are doing good! I love the cute pictures!

Brittany said...

Oh I LOVE this post. I have been thinking about these things a lot lately with this little baby boy on the way. I want to be a great parent and I'm starting to feel overwhelmed and the little guy isn't even here yet.:) You're a great mom Chels! And you've got an adorable little boy who loves his mommy!

The Webb Family said...

I love your post. All I can say is you get it. Meaning, you know the path you need to follow to raise Jack in a way that will be pleasing to yourself and our Heavenly Father. I too had the same questions and once I figured it all out, it was like a ton of brick lifted off my shoulders. You aren't in this alone. Your thoughts bring a big lump in my throat and tears, taking me back to my ahh-hah moment when the big picture came into perspective and I knew I could raise my son to be a better person on my own, and be a better person myself. Love ya girl.

Billie Jo said...

I know for sure you are the right person to raise Jack. I go through these battles DAILY I think you know this based on our talk in the car. However, maybe you should quit your day job and start a parenting blog or photography business because you are amazing!!! I can't wait to be back down there and spend more time together! I forgot to say right from the start. I need you to take some pcitures of my girls while we are down there!!!!!

sara and wade said...

love the post chels. thanks i really needed to hear this! i'm so scared to be a mom, but this is so very comforting for me to hear right now... thanks girl! you ARE a fabulous mom to handsome jack. good work!!